The process of transferring Microsoft Office to a new computer has been made simple because of the ability to download the Microsoft Office software directly from the Microsoft website to the new computer. Here are the steps to transfer MS Office to another computer:
Step 1: Deactivate Microsoft Office on the Old Computer System
- Open the web browser on your old computer which presently has MC Office installed. Go to Microsoft My Account.
- Sign in to the Microsoft web store. Type your email address and password which is associated with your Microsoft Office account and sign in. After signing in, you will notice that the website is displaying the currently active installs.
- Below the column named “Install”, find the orange button and click on it.
- Click on “Deactivate Install.” It is also an orange colored button.
- In the pop-up window, click on Deactivate. By clicking on the button, it will get confirmed that you wish to deactivate the current installation of MS Office from your computer system. The current installation of MS Office will get deactivated. You can only use Microsoft Office with limited capabilities now.
- Reboot your computer system.
Step 2: Uninstall Microsoft Office on Windows
- Click on Windows Search Option. Right beside the windows start menu, there will be a button which will appear like either an hourglass or a circle. Click on it.
- When the search menu opens, write “Control Panel” in the search bar which is located at the bottom of the menu.
- Click on Control Panel. Control Panel is an application which has a blue colored image and some graphics in the image.
- Click on Uninstall a program. Just beneath the green header called Programs, you will find this button. After clicking on the button, all the programs which are presently installed on the computer system will display. If this option does not come then go to view by and click on it. In the drop-down menu, choose Category.
- Click in order to highlight Microsoft Office: Depending on the version which you have the subscription for, click on Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Office 2016, etc.
- In the given list of programs, click on Uninstall which will be lodged between Change and Organize.
- When the popup window comes, click on uninstall.
- Wait for the Microsoft Office to finish uninstalling. Click on close in the next pop up window.
- Restart your computer system.
Step 3: Uninstalling Microsoft Office on Mac
- Go to your dock. Locate the Finder app which has a white and blue colored icon with an emoticon face. Click on Finder.
- In the box towards the left, click on Applications.
- Right click on whichever version of Microsoft Office is installed on the computer system.
- Click on Move to Trash.
- Wait for the Microsoft Office to uninstall.
- Empty the trash in order to free up the hard drive space.
Step 4: Installing Microsoft Office on New Computer
- Open the web browser on your new computer on which you wish to install MS Word.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Web Store. Sign in by using our Microsoft account email address and password.
- Below the Install heading, find the orange button named Install and click on it.
- Click on Install again. Now your Microsoft Office setup file will start to download.
- Open the Microsoft Office setup file. Go to the default download location of your web browser and open the executable file from the folder. If you are using chrome browser then it will get displayed at the bottom of the Chrome browser.
- In the pop-up window, click on Run. Now the MS Office will start installing.
- Wait for the Microsoft Office to finish installing. A video demonstration will begin. Click on Next.
- Click on sign in.
- Log in with the email and password associated with your Microsoft account.
- Restart your computer.